Thursday, April 21, 2011

Labor and Delivery Story

What a night! Here is my birth story. It's kind of crazy!
On the 20th I hit that "Nesting stage" I literally deep cleaned
my whole house. I don't know what got into me, but I didn't
want to stop. I vacuumed, moped, laundry, ironed, scrubbed down
both bathrooms, cleaned all the rooms, dusted, deep cleaned the
kitchen and even inside the microwave. It was awesome to see my
house super clean! Kenton came home and I was still on the go.
Soon I started to get contractions and ignored them. I was trying
to see if it was just false labor pains. The contractions didn't want
to go away. My hubby was painting the closest and I told him
we might be going to the hospital tonight. He said "OK" and kept
painting. I packed the bags and got them all ready. Kenton was
super excited. By One AM we went to the doctors. I told him
"I hope this isn't a false alarm and I don't have to go home again"

I got all dressed and she said that I was dilated to a 2 1/2 < which
by my doctor that's a 3 1/2 lol! She mentioned I was contracting, yet
it wasn't super contractions as she would like to see. She called
our OB and he said "Let's keep her and get her started, I hate to
turn mothers away on there due dates". So we got the party started.
They gave me an IV and started me on pitocin. Which helps you dilate.

I was so tired, yet wide awake. It is so hard to fall asleep when
you are contracting. It's never fun! The nurse took us to a labor
room. Which was nice to be in a bigger room. Our doctor stopped
by at 3 am to say Hello and that he was going to be back to
break my water at 5am. I was good with that. Our OB looked so
tired. She mentioned that after he had his cardio and his
caffeine he is super happy and ready to go for the day.
She was right. He was happier and more awake after that.

The doctor came in about 5 am and broke my water. The nurse
came in and told us to get some sleep before the fun starts.
Kenton quickly fell asleep. While I was wide awake. I swear those
contractions just got worse after he broke that water.
I was trying to breath through them. Wasn't helping all that much.
I sat and listened to the rain outside and watching the lightning.
It reminded me of Saturday's Warrior for some reason. Probably
because at the very end of that show there was a thunderstorm
and the baby was born. lol! I know I'm weird.

The nurse came in at 6AM and asked me if I would like the epidural now,
because the anesthesiologist would be in a C-section at 7AM and
I wouldn't be able to get it till 8AM. I was tolerating the pain to a point.
I told her I was going to wait it out. I asked her to ask me again
15 minutes closer to the hour. She did, I was almost in tears freaking
out from the pain. 45 minute was long enough to deal with such pain.
It didn't help not having the support by my husband by my side.
He was dead asleep. Which he should be.

I woke Kenton up and asked if it would be alright if I got the
epidural. He was wondering why I woke him up, just to ask
a silly question like that. I told him "I need you to hold my
hand, when they give it to me". The anesthesiologist came
in and was super chipped and filled with jokes.
He told me he was a back stabber. I'm sure he thinks
his jokes never get old. I held the nurses hand and Kenton's
hand in my right hand. The Anesthesiologist gave a poke.
I breathed through it and was fine the rest of the time. Before
you know it I'm feeling all tingly like my feet were falling
asleep, when in reality they really where. ha ha ha!

The nurse came in and asked if I would get some rest. I tried
to sleep. Every time I would go to that deep sleep phase.
I would quickly wake up. I felt like I was falling every single time.
It was so hard to not feel like I was falling. My legs felt like stone.
I couldn't get up and move around. I had to have my hubby help
position me. I do not have upper body strength. Terrible I know!
The nurse put me on an oxygen mask, because the babies heart rate
was low. She mentioned that the umbilical cord was probably
kinked or stretched.

Around 9 to 10AM the nurse came in and mentioned I could have
this baby by Noon. She said there was another girl in the room
next door that was neck to neck. The nurse said "it's a race
to see who gets there first". She came in at Noon and said I was
a 9 1/2. I don't think she had me push until the other girl in
labor was done having her baby lol! She came in again at 2PM
and had me push. I was so tired and so out of it. I couldn't exactly
concentrate. The epidural made me so itchy. I was scratching my
nose and scratching my arms. I think I looked just like Rudolf the
red nose reindeer by the time I had to push.

No comments: