Monday, June 22, 2009

A Sweet Assurance though Answered Prayers



Everyone my Aunt Sherrie Posted this sweet talk to deseretbook.com/time-out/friends. Her wonderful story hit the article. it made me tear up, because I know what a sweet spirit my Aunt is and her kids have grown up to be such great young Adults. I look up to my aunt and the way that she raised her kids. She is truly a great lady indeed. My cousin Braden is off to serve a mission. This talk is about his faith and his desires. I hope you enjoy this story. Just as much. Love you all!

A Sweet Assurance through Answered Prayers
June 12, 2009

By Sherrie Cope

When my son Braden was a little boy, he would share his thoughts and desires to serve a mission to China. He didn't even know where China was, but he looked on the map and learned. Everyone--his friends, family, and seminary teachers--knew of his mission dream. He grew to love the people, their culture, and their food. He even took Mandarin in college so that he would have a head start and be able to list on his mission papers that he studied the language.

Braden and I would talk about the desire of his heart. I prayed right along with him that he would serve in his beloved China, specifically the Hong Kong mission. But I would also talk to him about accepting a call wherever the Lord needed him to serve. He agreed, but would remind me that the Lord knew his heart. B

raden filled out his papers and, with a prayer in his heart, they were sent to Church headquarters. Then the wait began. On the map that hung on our wall for friends and family to guess his mission he had circled Hong Kong. His mark was on the map.

A few weeks later, a big white envelope was left in our mailbox. The moment he had waited for his whole life had arrived. Our hearts were full of "JOY." Our home was soon filled with his friends and family. The envelope was placed in Braden's hands. Silence filled the room as he opened it. A sweet spirit surrounded me. Twelve years of being a single mom to three wonderful children and here was a blessed moment for me. I had already received another special moment and blessing when my other son was married in the temple the previous year. Some moms call a mission their "bittersweet years." I was just so proud and grateful.

Then Braden pulled out his call. I reminded him once again that he should prepare his heart and soul to accept the call that the Lord had for him. He smiled at me and said, "I will, Mom, the Lord knows my heart." He unfolded the paper, he read, he paused--then tears streamed down his face. Braden threw his arms up in the air. He looked at me and then around the room. He couldn't contain his feelings: "If there is anyone in this room who doesn't believe that God answers little boys’ prayers then you talk to me!"

I screamed at Braden with tears in my eyes and asked, "Braden, are you going to China?" He picked up the paper and said, "Mom, I am going to the China Hong Kong Mission." It was truly the most incredible moment of my life. The Spirit was so strong in our home. I felt the love of our Heavenly Father. The Lord and Braden both knew that he had grown up with the desire in his heart to serve the people of China.

Braden officially became Elder Cope in September 2008. He has been on his mission for eight months and has been in Hong Kong for five. He is experiencing the hard yet loving life of a missionary. He had to learn Cantonese and is learning how to converse with the people there. He is truly reaping the rewards of his childhood dream. Elder Cope has learned to trust in the Lord with all his heart and we know that with faith and good works he can accomplish the work of the Lord.

I have a sweet assurance that the Lord loves me and my three children. The truth of the gospel has blessed our lives in so many ways. We are grateful to Elder Cope for the blessings of his service and the way that is it blessing our lives.

No comments: